Implementing a metrics program and utilizing a management dashboard offers a variety of benefits to technical managers and their teams. Leveraging these tools is critical given that software under development tends to be invisible. Managing by metrics involves utilizing a framework for measuring progress and providing visibility across the gamut of technical projects (development, operations, QA, infrastructure, etc.). It’s important to realize that managing to a metric can, and often will, change the behaviors of those being measured. Many times this is the desired outcome.
As a business grows, there is increased complexity—more moving parts, multiple competing priorities , and additional resources needing management. Metrics will help identify those issues that require attention and focus, brining transparency to the work being done across an organization. Since a manager can’t be everywhere, the consistent use of a set of measures can be valuable tool indeed.
Stay tuned into this blog series as we cover best practices in metrics management with the following topics:
- Driving Team Performance
- Metrics that are SMART and Actionable
- Leveraging Metrics to Drive Action
- Matching Software Delivery Deadlines with Development Reality
- Reactive vs. Proactive Metrics
- Understanding your Metrics…Context matters
- Qualitative Measures, Measurement Intervals, and Dashboarding Best Practices